Friday, July 6, 2007

Elder Mikey reports on life at the MTC

How's it going? I really enjoy the letters from you guys in dearelder.com form. It's so nice to have the letters in hand to reflect back on them whenever. This week has been filled with learning. I have learned to continue my desire for people to receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. I've learned how to teach more effectively with asking questions to apply the principles to their lives, I learned how to resolve questions and concerns from anyone with bringing all their concerns back to the Book of Mormon. Once they know it's true they will understand everything else. I've learned how Joseph went to many different churches in seeking the truth and how I don't have to be afraid to commit others to come to church because it's necessary in finding the truth. I have learned how to teach the restoration with scriptures and with heartfelt testimony, I have learned how to bring it all "back to the grove" and how other churches have everything we have but Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and all those two bring. I have learned how to teach then testify then commit (will you...) then recommit (as you do..) and then promise blessings. I have learned that I'm a servant of God and that I'm an instrument in His hands. I have learned that I'm ready to have heart to heart conversations with everyone. I have learned that I really care about peoples salvation. Everyones. I have learned that I need to desire like the sons of Mosiah to preach the gospel unto every soul, otherwise I'm not going to be happy. I have learned the blessings that come from obedience. My companion and I taught a lesson to a "pretend" investigator. We taught the restoration with everything we have learned and more as the Spirit guided us. After our discussion my companion gave me a great big hug when we walked out of the room. He expressed how lucky he was to have me. We shared with each other how happy we were with what we had just taught. What we had so diligently prepared for. We walked into our evaluation room and our teacher just wanted to share with us how well we had done. We appreciated her compliments but we weren't even looking for them. We wanted to know what we could do better, we were asking her, what can we do now? How can we be even better. She shared with us excellent insight and told us more than once, we haven't gone over this yet but you could have done... It was awesome. Once we were being evaluated my companion...Elder Petersen! started to get emotional. He started crying, just trying to explain to our teacher how grateful he was for me. Truly I felt the same. Elder Petersen is awesome, he is out here paying for the mission all on his own, he's well read and loves to be obedient to all the mission rules like me. The Book of Mormon is true, I bought a new set of scriptures (thanks Mom and Dad, and other money donations) markings, rulers, scissors, tape, glue stick. Danny would be so proud of me: I've turned so much into his ways of perfect organization, perfect cleanliness, perfect hand writing, perfect crisp papers, and other ways I used to give him a hard time about. I have so much respect for people who go on missions, all of you, I feel so much more apart of you and now I can relate so much more with you. Brian, I need your letters in particular, your scripture insight is incredible. I have cherished every insight you have given to me. I wish I had time to go over them. All is well in Provo Utah. My district is amazing. I'm truly taking in John's advice in doing all that I can to prepare here. Mom thanks for the photos all the help you have given me. I'm sure there is more I need to say so I might send a letter. Love,

Elder Emmett

No comments:

Post a Comment